Looking for a challenge? Want cool, free, type stuff? Test your “metal” at the 2012 TypeCon Typographic Quiz.
Monotype Imaging is pleased to be a sponsor of TypeCon2012 – the annual conference presented by the non-profit Society of Typographic Aficionados (SOTA). Several of our resident type experts from around the world will be sharing their knowledge and skills. Come by and join us as we take a look at Arabic typography, rare stockpiles of British typographic history, new aviation type trends for cockpit navigation and so much more.
Here are our Typecon2012’s “not to miss” highlights:
- Daniel Rhatigan will present “From The Monotype Archives,”a look at the rarely seen stockpile of typographic history from 1867 onwards that includes British Monotype archives that reveal the many-layered stories behind the development of type in the 20th century.
Friday, August 3rd at 8:40 a.m.
- Steve Matteson will present “What’s Our Vector Victor? Optimizing Typefaces for Cockpit Navigation.” Steve will examine how his work with an industry leading producer of aviation charts is helping to advance safety and accuracy in cockpit navigation. A look at resulting comparative readability studies involving professional pilots will provide a look at how type can improve performance in next-generation aviation charts used in heads-up display panels, tablet computers and iPad tablets.
Friday, August 3rd at 10:50 a.m.
- Kamal Mansour, our manager of non-Latin products, together with Patrick Giasson will examine “Bustani: A Classic Arabic Typeface with Calligraphic Features.” The Bustani typeface offers calligraphic Naskh style, while staying within the bounds of pragmatic typography. This new typeface pays tribute to Naskh’s fluid, rich calligraphic forms while remaining directly useable in OpenType-compliant applications. At Monotype Imaging, Kamal has been involved in many aspects of multilingual typography and font development, including OpenType implementations for various scripts including Arabic, Greek, Latin, Hebrew, Thai, Lao, Khmer and Japanese.
Saturday, August 4th at 8:40 a.m.
- 2012 TypeCon Typographic Quiz: Can you pick Garamond out of a crowd? Been around the typographic block a few times? Then you’re ready to take the 2012 TypeCon Typographic Quiz. If you’ve taken the quiz before, it won’t help. We’ve got all new questions. In fact, this year’s quiz will be even more fun – and more rewarding than those in the past. Hosted by quizmaster Allan Haley, there will be more prizes, a silent auction and a series of questions for those that don’t care that 5-point type was once called “pearl.” And, if you know your typographic stuff, there is also a “varsity” section with the grand prize of the Linotype Library of fonts – and “Typophile of the Year” bragging rights. There will also be prizes for “Typographic Aficionado” and “Typographically Challenged.”
Saturday, August 4th, at the InterContinental Hotel, 8:30 – 11:00 p.m.
- Join our own Akira Kobayashi, together with John Downer and Roger Black during Sunday afternoon’s Type Crit where these masters of typographic analysis and elucidation will provide gentle, constructive criticism as they review your latest design.
Sunday, August 5th, check for details at Typecon2012
Please join us if you are interested in getting together to talk about fonts and typography, and share typographic items of interest!